Jan Harmsen’s Summary of 2020
2020 was strange, but also interesting. Plans were made, altered and cancelled. A lot of events and courses were cancelled or moved, or held online. But my year was also filled with new clients and opportunities. I would like to share with you a summary of what my year was like.
Customers from around the world
This year was very interesting with many customers mainly from the USA and Europe but also from East-Asia and South America. The latter were from an unexpected side effect of providing an online course Industrial Process Scale-up via Symmetric. The course Sustainable Product, Process, and Systems design for 23 PDEng students of TU Delft, was also online. Both courses had interactive lectures and group work in break-up teams. These break-out team sessions were well received, and the presented results were even better than those in previous years.
Book launch and webinar Process Intensification
Maarten Verkerk and I presented the main content of our book, Process Intensification – Breakthrough in Design, Industrial Innovation Practices, and Education, at three online events for, the USA RAPID institute, DEGRUYTER-CHISA-EFCE event, EFCE-PI working party. The number of attendees (several hundreds) was far higher than in live keynote sessions.
Advice on many subjects
The advice I provided mainly concerned process innovation projects. Specific technical advice was about reactive distillation, research, development, and potential applications. General innovation project advice concerned planning for complex circular economy innovation projects, converting waste to value, with many partners and concerned how to evaluate research projects economically at concept stage to facilitate decisions how to proceed in further development.
Harmsen Consultancy in 2020 in bullet points
- Reactive Distillation: when to select and which advantages
- Reactive Distillation catalytic packing and its applications
- Process Intensification research projects evaluations
- Cost evaluation of complex process design concepts
- Project waste to value outline critical items for success
- Course educator Sustainable Product, Process, and Systems Design Online for TU Delft
- Course educator Industrial Process Scale-up On-line via Symmetric
- Moderator Introduction to Process Technology for non-chemical engineers
- PhD defence board member reactive distillation, University of Manchester
- 4 Scientific Publications
- 3 Scientific paper reviews
Harmsen, Jan; Verkerk, Maarten. Process Intensification: Breakthrough in Design, Industrial Innovation Practices, and Education. De Gruyter, Berlin, 2020.
Harmsen J. The fundamentals of process intensification: A book review. Journal of Advanced Manufacturing and Processing. 2020 Apr;2(2):e10049.
RIVAS, David Fernandez, et al. Process intensification education contributes to sustainable development goals. Part 1. Education for Chemical Engineers, Vol. 32, July 2020, Pages 1-14.
RIVAS, David Fernandez, et al. Process intensification education contributes to sustainable development goals. Part 2. Education for Chemical Engineers, Vol. 32, July 2020, Pages 15-24.