Seminar: NL GUTS
Topic: Affinity Separation
Date/time: Wednesday October 20th 2021 / 10.00h -17.30h
Location: BODEC, Scheepsboulevard 3, 5705 KZ Helmond
By affinity separation one component is selectively separated from a component soup. It is very attractive for separations in pharmaceuticals, food and drinking water industry branches. Latest results from industry partners and academia were presented at the symposium Affinity Separations, organized by the Users group Separation Technology in the Netherlands held a one-day symposium at Bodec, Helmond, 20th of October, 2021
Here are my highlights:
Moving bed chromatography separation by Paul Deckers of Bodec. This technology has the advantages of a very selective separation and a high capacity at low processing cost. A pilot plant is available at Bodec for tests.
Nano particles with special ligands inside porous structure for selective separation of monoclonal antibodies, presented by Michel Epping of Byondis and Wageningen University Research. In the discussion it appeared that the technique also can be used for membranes, by having the nanopores with a design ligand as a membrane.
Fixed adsorbents (Metal Organic Frameworks) in a packed bed structure can be used for carbon dioxide capture. Raf Roelant of PDC showed that by modelling an optimum configuration of 11 beds in swing operation can be designed.
Table 1 Score contributions by: Feasible, new, Applicability range
|Subject||Feasible||New||Applicable range||Total score|
|Amino acids sepa.||6||10||2||120|
|Moving bed adsorption||10||8||2||160|
|Carbon capture fixed adsorbents||10||8||2||160|
|Nanofibers affinitiy separations||10||8||4||320|
10.00u Welcome Paul Deckers, BODEC
- Introduction: 1 Affinity separations at BODEC, some practical examples. Pilot plant available for moving bed chromatography.
10.15 Morning Presentations
- Nathan Bowden ISPT
- 2 How to enhance the solubility of biomolecules (e.g. amino acids, peptide and proteins) with water and organic solvents.
- Chicken Feathers consist for > 90 of protein. Amino acids can be obtained after hydrolysis by ethanol-water dissolution and crystallization.
- Albert Jansen BEAP WIC
- 3 BEAP Water Project: How upgrade rainwater to process- and drinking water. Biofilter and membrane to produce drinking water from rainwater
- Jeffrey Felix CO2CirculAir
- 4 SMART-DAC, CO2 absorption and concentration
Carbon dixoxide from the atmosphere is is absorbed in KOH water solution. By electrolysis carbon dioxide and KOH is recovered.
- Carin Dietz HAN
- 5 Solvent Development for recovery of furfural and hydroxymethyl furfural from aqueous biorefinery solutions. Deep Eutectic solvent is used for extraction. PhD thesis from Tue is available.
~ 12.30 Network Lunch & Rondleiding BODEC faciliteiten
14:00 NL GUTS specific topics
14:15 Afternoon Session Presentations
- Paul Deckers BODEC
- True Moving Bed adsorption, a new chromatography concept, owned by ISPT…
- Raf Roelant PDC
- 6 Designing carbon capture processes with fixed adsorbents MOF in structured packed bed
- Erik Broers BEAP Pertracta
- 7 BEAP Pertraction from laboratory to reality pertraction test carried out. But sofar unsuccessful due to wrong extractant ethyl acetate is dissolves for 8 % in water.
- Michel Eppink WUR
- 8 Nanofibers as an alternative for fast affinity separations of monoclonal antibodies Nanofibers are very powerful in combination with ligands.
16.30 Networking, drinks & snack
17.30 End of program